The need for spiritual guidance and inspiration remains the same although the world continues to change. Christian literature, in particular, has continued to impact the lives of many around the world. With 2023 in full swing, it’s time to look at the top 20 most popular and best Christian authors of the moment.
These authors have made a significant impact on the Christian community, with their works spanning various genres and covering a wide range of topics, including faith, love, hope, and spirituality. So, without further ado, let’s take a closer look at the top 20 most popular and best Christian authors of April 2023.
📚 Did you know that aside from the books I feature on this page, I have also personally authored a lot of inspiring and life-changing books? If you’re interested, I highly recommend you go check them out. The books are designed to help you become closer to God, grow in your knowledge and grace, and become more faithful to Him. 📚
➡️ Read the Bible in 365 Days
➡️ How to Live a Victorious Life
➡️ The Seven Powerful Habits of Highly Effective Christians
➡️ The Eleventh Chapter of HEBREWS
➡️ The Power of His Word
What types of books do Christian authors write?
Christian authors write books that reflect their faith and values and cover a wide range of genres including:
- Bible studies and devotional books provide insights and inspiration to readers to deepen their relationship with God.
- Christian fiction that weaves together spiritual themes with entertaining storytelling.
- Christian non-fiction covers topics such as Christian living, theology, church history, and apologetics.
- Biographies of Christian figures, missionaries, and historical events.
- Christian self-help books that offer guidance and advice for personal growth and development.
- Christian poetry and hymns explore themes of faith, love, and worship.
- Children’s books that teach biblical values and stories to young readers.
Overall, Christian authors write books that aim to provide a positive message and offer guidance and encouragement to readers in their spiritual journey.
What is the difference between a Christian author and a secular author?
The critical difference between a Christian author and a secular author is that a Christian author has its base on religion whereas a secular author has no base on religion. The two terms Christian and secular are opposing terms. Thus, Christian author contains religious beliefs, traditions, and practices while the secular author does not.
How to choose a Christian author?
Here are a few steps to consider when choosing a Christian author:
- Determine your area of interest: Consider what topics you would like to read about, whether it is Christian living, biblical studies, devotionals, Christian fiction, or biographies.
- Research authors: Once you have determined your area of interest, research authors who specialize in that area. Look for authors who have published books on your topic and read reviews and recommendations from others who have read their work.
- Check the author’s beliefs: Verify that the author’s beliefs align with yours by reading about their personal beliefs and their statement of faith.
- Consult with others: Ask for recommendations from people you trust, such as your pastor, small group leader, or Christian friends.
Remember, choosing a Christian author is a personal decision. Ultimately, the goal is to choose an author whose work speaks to you and helps you grow in your faith.
SUPER IMPORTANT TO READ:
Editor’s note: This list of books is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Moreover, I have my own fundamental beliefs that may differ from that of the authors, creators, and sellers of the products featured here. Moreover, you can also choose to read books I have written or enroll in my best online course. Ultimately, whatever books you choose in this list, make sure you study your Bible first because it is always the best of the best books of all time Here’s a list of Bibles that you should have. Finally, I am an Amazon Affiliate Program participant. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I would highly appreciate it if you buy books through my site. Thank you!
Who are the best Christian authors today?
We researched many Christian authors and we’ve come up with the top 20. Here are the Top 20 Most Popular and Best Christian Authors of March 2023:
1. Max Lucado
Max Lucado is a Christian author and pastor who has written numerous books on spirituality and faith. He was born on January 11, 1955, in San Angelo, Texas, and grew up in Andrews, Texas. He attended Abilene Christian University, receiving a bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications.
Lucado began his career as a pastor, serving several churches in Texas before becoming a writer. He is a respected figure in the Christian community known for his inspiring writing, engaging speaking style, and commitment to spreading the message of God’s love and grace.
Max Lucado has written over 100 books, including many bestsellers such as:
- On the Anvil: Being Shaped into God’s Image
- No Wonder They Call Him the Savior
- God Came Near: Chronicles of the Christ
- The Applause of Heaven
- In the Eye of the Storm: A Day in the Life of Jesus
2. Gary Chapman
Gary Chapman is a renowned author, speaker, and counselor who is best known for his work in the area of relationships. He was born on January 10, 1938, in China Grove, North Carolina, USA. Chapman earned his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in anthropology from Wheaton College and Wake Forest University.
Chapman has appeared on numerous radio and television programs to discuss his work. He currently resides in North Carolina with his wife, Karolyn.
Gary Chapman wrote numerous books including many bestsellers such as;
- The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate
- The Five Love Languages of our Children
- The Five Love Languages: Singles Edition
- The Five Languages of Apology
- The Marriage You’ve Always Wanted
3. John Piper
John S. Piper is an American theologian, pastor, and author. He was born on January 11, 1946, in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Piper is the founder and former pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he served for 33 years. He is now the chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary, and he continues to write and speak on Christian theology and the Christian life.
Piper is perhaps best known for his emphasis on the sovereignty of God and the importance of living for the glory of God.
John Piper has written more than 50 books including;
- Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist
- The Supremacy of God in Preaching
- The Pleasures of God
- Future Grace: The Purifying Power of Living By Faith in Future Grace
- A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer
4. Lysa TerKeurst
Lysa TerKeurst is a Christian author, speaker, and president of Proverbs 31 Ministries, a non-profit organization that aims to help women grow in their faith. She was born on July 21, 1969, and a native of Tallahassee, Florida. She has written numerous books on topics such as forgiveness, marriage, and overcoming rejection. TerKeurst is known for sharing her personal struggles and vulnerabilities in her writing and speaking and has a large following among Christian women. She is also a wife, mother, and grandmother.
Lysa Terkeurst has written more than a dozen books including;
- What happens when women walk in faith
- Made to Crave: Satisfying your deepest desire with God, not food
- Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
- What happens when women say yes to God
- Forgiving what you can’t forget: discover how to move on, make peace with painful memories, and create a life that’s beautiful again
5. Paul David Tripp
Paul David Tripp is a Christian pastor, author, and speaker who was born on December 12, 1950, in Toledo, Ohio, USA. He has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Bible and Christian Education from Columbia Bible College, a Master of Divinity degree from Philadelphia Theological Seminary, and a Doctor of Ministry degree from Westminster Theological Seminary.
Tripp is the president of Paul Tripp Ministries, a non-profit organization that seeks to connect the transforming power of Jesus Christ to everyday life. He is also a faculty member at the Redeemer Seminary in Dallas, Texas, and the Center for Pastoral Life and Care executive director in Fort Worth, Texas.
He is known for his emphasis on the gospel’s transformative power in everyday life and his ability to communicate deep theological truths in a practical and accessible way.
Paul David Tripp has more than 30 books including;
- Parenting: Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family
- New Morning Mercies: A Daily Gospel Devotional
- Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
- Why It Matters for Everything We Think, Say, and Do
- Suffering: Gospel Hope When Life Doesn’t Make Sense
6. Priscilla Shirer
Priscilla Shirer is a Christian speaker, author, and actress. She was born on December 31, 1974, in Dallas, Texas, USA. Shirer is the daughter of a well-known pastor and teacher Tony Evans, and she grew up in a family with a strong Christian background.
In addition to her writing and acting, Shirer is a sought-after speaker, traveling across the country to speak at conferences and events. She is also the founder of Going Beyond Ministries, a ministry organization that seeks to encourage women to deepen their relationship with God.
Priscilla Shirer is popular among Christian communities for her Bible studies and books including;
7. John MacArthur
John MacArthur is a well-known evangelical Christian pastor, teacher, and author. He was born on June 19, 1939, in Los Angeles, California, USA.
MacArthur is the pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, which he has served since 1969. He is also the founder of the Master’s University and the Master’s Seminary, which are both located in Southern California.
MacArthur is known for his conservative theological views and his emphasis on expository preaching, which involves carefully explaining the meaning of Scripture verse-by-verse.
John F. MacArthur has written more than 150 books which include
- Twelve Extraordinary Women
- Twelve Ordinary Men
- The Gospel According to Jesus
- Because the Time is Near
- CHARISMATIC CHAOS
8. Francis Chan
Francis Chan is a well-known American author, speaker, and pastor. He was born on August 31, 1967, in San Francisco, California. In 1998, he founded Cornerstone Community Church in Simi Valley, California which grew rapidly and became one of the largest churches in the area.
In 2010, Chan stepped down from his role as senior pastor at Cornerstone to focus on his writing and speaking career. He has since traveled extensively, speaking at conferences and churches around the world.
Some of Francis Chan’s books include;
- Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
- Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit
- Halfway Herbert
- Erasing Hell: What God said about eternity, and the things we made up
- The Road We Must Travel
9. Joel Osteen
Joel Osteen (born on March 5, 1963) is an American pastor, televangelist, and author. He is the senior pastor of Lakewood Church, which is one of the largest Protestant churches in the United States, located in Houston, Texas.
Osteen is well known for his positive and uplifting sermons, which focus on self-improvement, personal growth, and faith.
Osteen remains a popular and influential figure in the Christian community, with a large following both in the United States and around the world.
John Osteen published a number of books including;
- How to Become a Better You: 7 Keys to Improving Your Life Everyday
- Think Better, Live Better: A Victorious Life Begins in Your Mind
- Blessed in The Darkness: How All Things Are Working for Your Good
- Empty Out the Negative: Make Room for More Joy Greater Confidence, and New Levels of Influence
- Peaceful on Purpose: The Power to Remain Calm, Strong, and Confident in Every Season
10. Billy Graham
William Franklin Graham Jr. (November 7, 1918 – February 21, 2018) was an American evangelist and an ordained Southern Baptist minister who became well-known internationally in the late 1940s. He was a prominent evangelical Christian figure, and according to a biographer, was “among the most influential Christian leaders” of the 20th century.
Graham was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, and grew up in a devout Christian family. He received his education at Wheaton College, where he met his future wife, Ruth Bell. In the 1940s, Graham began his career as a traveling preacher, holding large-scale revival meetings and crusades across the United States and around the world.
Billy Graham wrote numerous books and articles on Christianity including:
11. Charles Spurgeon
Charles Spurgeon (19 June 1834- 31 January 1892) was a preacher and theologian who became known as the “Prince of Preachers.” He was born in Essex, England, and at the age of 15, he became a Christian after attending a Methodist chapel.
Spurgeon began preaching in rural churches at the age of 16 and eventually became the pastor of London’s New Park Street Chapel (later renamed the Metropolitan Tabernacle).
He opposed theological liberalism and believed in the need for personal conversion and evangelism. Spurgeon’s legacy continues to influence Christians today, particularly in the areas of preaching and evangelism.
- Morning and Evening: A daily devotional
- The Treasury of David: A commentary on the Book of Psalms
- Lectures to My Students: A collection of lectures on preaching and pastoral ministry
- All of Grace: A book on salvation and the grace of God
- The Soul Winner: A guide to evangelism and personal outreach
12. Oswald Chambers
Oswald Chambers (1874-1917) was a Scottish Baptist preacher and teacher, best known for his devotional book “My Utmost for His Highest.” He was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, and raised in a Christian home. He studied at the University of Edinburgh and the Dunoon College of Agriculture, but ultimately decided to pursue a career in ministry.
After his death in 1917 at the age of 43, Chambers’ wife Biddy compiled and edited his lectures and sermons into the devotional book “My Utmost for His Highest,” which has since become one of the most widely read Christian books in the world. Chambers’ teachings continue to influence and inspire Christians of all denominations today.
Oswald Chambers wrote several books including;
- Christian Disciplines
- The Highest Good
- If Ye Shall Ask
- The Oswald Chambers Daily Devotional Bible
- Bringing Sons Unto Glory
13. William Lane Craig
William Lane Craig (born August 23, 1949) is a prominent Christian philosopher and theologian known for his work in the areas of philosophy of religion and Christian apologetics. He is also a prolific author, having written numerous books and articles on topics related to Christianity and philosophy.
Craig is perhaps best known for his arguments in support of the existence of God, particularly the Kalam cosmological argument, which he has defended in debates with atheists and other skeptics.
Craig is currently a Research Professor of Philosophy at Talbot School of Theology in La Mirada, California, and a Professor of Philosophy at Houston Baptist University.
Some of William Lane Craig’s popular books are;
- Reasonable Faith: Christian Truth and Apologetics
- On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision
- The Kalam Cosmological Argument
- God Over All: Divine Aseity and the Challenge of Platonism
- The Son Rises: Historical Evidence for the Ressurection of Jesus
14. Tim Keller
Timothy J Keller (born September 23, 1950, in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania) is an American pastor, theologian, and Christian apologist. Keller is best known as the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, which he led for over two decades before retiring in 2017.
Keller is widely regarded as a leading voice in the modern evangelical movement and has been recognized for his contributions to Christian scholarship and ministry. In 2017, he was awarded the Kuyper Prize for Excellence in Reformed Theology and Public Life, and in 2020, he received the Abraham Kuyper Prize for Excellence in Reformed Theology and Public Life from Princeton Theological Seminary.
Keller’s bestselling books include;
- The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
- The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christain Faith
- Generous JHustice: How God’s Grace Makes Us Just
- Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money
- Preaching: Communicating Faith in the Age of Skepticism
15. Kevin DeYoung
Kevin DeYoung is a Christian author, speaker, and pastor. He was born in 1977 and grew up in Jenison, Michigan. He received his undergraduate degree from Hope College and his Master of Divinity degree from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
DeYoung has served as a pastor in various churches, including University Reformed Church in East Lansing, Michigan, and Christ Covenant Church in Matthews, North Carolina. He is also a council member for The Gospel Coalition, a network of evangelical churches and ministries.
He is known for his orthodox Christian beliefs and his ability to communicate complex theological concepts in a clear and accessible manner.
DeYoung is the author of numerous books including;
- Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God’s Will
- Crazy Busy: A Mercifully Short Book About a Really Big Problem
- The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap Between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
- Taking God At His Word: Why the Bible;e is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me
- What Does the Bible Really Teach about Homosexuality?
16. N.T. Wright
N.T. Wright is a prominent British New Testament scholar and theologian. He was born on December 1, 1948, in Morpeth, Northumberland, England. Wright studied at the University of Oxford and later taught at several universities, including the University of St Andrews in Scotland and the University of Oxford.
Wright is known for his work on the historical Jesus and the early Christian church, and he has written extensively on the New Testament, including the books of Romans, Galatians, and Hebrews. He is also known for his emphasis on the kingdom of God as a central theme in the New Testament, and for his critique of traditional Protestant theology, particularly the doctrine of justification by faith alone.
Some of Wright’s notable books include
- The New Testament and the People of God
- Jesus and the Victory of God
- The Resurrection of the Son of God
- Paul: A Biography
- The Day the Revolution Began
17. Dallas Willard
Dallas Willard (1935-2013) was an American philosopher and theologian who made significant contributions to the fields of philosophy, ethics, and Christian spirituality. He was a professor of philosophy at the University of Southern California for over 40 years and authored numerous books on these topics.
Willard’s work focused on how individuals could live a fully integrated and authentic Christian life. He emphasized the importance of spiritual disciplines, such as prayer and meditation, in developing a relationship with God and living a meaningful life.
His books with ideas on spiritual formation have been influential in both academic and religious circles including;
- The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life In God
- The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives
- Renovation of the Heart: Putting On the Character of Christ
- Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship With God
- Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trust Spiritual Knowledge
18. Ravi Zacharias
Ravi Zacharias was a Christian apologist and evangelist who passed away on May 19, 2020. He was born on March 26, 1946, in Chennai, India, and grew up in a Hindu family. He later converted to Christianity and became a prominent speaker and author, focusing on defending the Christian faith and engaging with skeptics and seekers.
Zacharias founded Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM), a global organization dedicated to evangelism and apologetics.
In 2017, Zacharias was awarded the Claremont Prize for the Study of Religion, and he has been recognized for his contributions to Christian apologetics and evangelism by various organizations.
Zacharias authored over 30 books including;
- Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message
- The End of Reason: A Response to the New Atheists
- Can Man Live Without God?
- Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend
- The Grand Weaver: How God Shapes Us Through the Events of Our Lives
19. Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945) was a German theologian and pastor who became a prominent figure in the resistance movement against Nazi Germany. Bonhoeffer studied theology in Germany and the United States and became a professor of theology in Berlin in 1930.
As the Nazi regime rose to power, Bonhoeffer became increasingly vocal in his opposition to the regime and its policies, particularly its persecution of Jews. He became involved in the resistance movement, and in 1943 he was arrested and imprisoned by the Gestapo. While in prison, Bonhoeffer continued to write and work for the resistance and was executed by hanging in April 1945, just weeks before the end of the war.
Here are five of Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s books;
20. Beth Moore
Beth Moore is a well-known Christian author, speaker, and Bible teacher. She was born on June 16, 1957, in Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA. Moore founded Living Proof Ministries in 1994 to teach women how to study the Bible and grow in their faith. Moore is also a popular speaker and has led conferences and speaking engagements around the world. She has been a prominent figure in the evangelical Christian community for many years and is known for her passionate teaching style and emphasis on personal Bible study and spiritual growth.
Beth Moore has written bestselling books including:
- Breaking Free: The Journey, The Stories
- Praying God’s Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds
- So Long, Insecurity: You’ve Been a Bad Friend to Us
- Believing God: Experiencing a Fresh Explosion of Faith
- Get Out of That Pit: Straight Talk About God’s Deliverance
Choose the best Christian Authors for you in May 2023
Take the opportunity to choose your options, and pick Christian authors that would best fit your needs!
Discover God’s purpose for you, improve your spiritual life, and become a more faithful child of God with these books.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE.