This his a book review and summary of the book Parenting written by Paul Tripp.
If there’s a book that can positively transform your thinking towards parenting, it is this book: Parenting by Paul Tripp. It is among the most amazing books I have read so far about the subject.
So, in this post, let me give you an overview of Parenting by Paul Tripp and give you an idea of what it is and why you should read it.
The book in three sentences
Parenting by Paul Tripp comes with 14 principles about parenting derived from the Bible. With more than 100,000 copies in print, it aims to help parents learn how to perform their God-given duty in the best way possible. Paul, through his book, shows how the Bible is full of parenting advice that can dramatically change your approach to raising your children.
Editor’s note: This book review is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Moreover, I have my own fundamental beliefs that may differ from that of the authors, creators, and sellers of the products featured here. Finally, I am an Amazon Affiliate Program participant. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases with no additional cost to you. I would highly appreciate it if you buy books through my site. Thank you!
Who is Paul Tripp?
Paul David Tripp performs different functions. He is a/an:
- Best-selling book author
- Dedicated pastor
- International conference/ event speaker
He has been married to his wife for more than four decades already. They have four grown children. So, we can say that he has a lot of experience when it comes to parenting.
Aside from Parenting, he has written the following books:
- New Morning Mercies: A Daily Gospel Devotional (His most popular book)
- Lead: 12 Gospel Principles for Leadership in the Church
- Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change
- Marriage: 6 Gospel Commitments Every Couple Needs to Make
- Suffering: Gospel Hope When Life Doesn’t Make Sense
Since his Parenting book is such a great read, I would also assume that his other books would give you a lot of fresh insights. So, please do check them out as well.
Paul Tripp has written more than 30 books. You can check all of them here. He also has a video series about Christian living you can watch on his channel.
As mentioned, the book comes with “14 Gospel Principles that can Radically Change Your Family.”
These 14 principles include:
- Calling – talks about how you can become a tool in God’s hands.
- Grace – talks about how God equips you with His grace in raising your children.
- Law – discusses how the law of God should be taught to children.
- Inability – helps you recognize what you can’t do as a parent.
- Identity – Helps you know where your identity as a parent should be rooted upon.
- Process – talks about how commitment as a parent is a life-long process.
- Lost – discusses the root cause of bad behavior in children.
- Authority – helps you know how to introduce authority.
- Foolishness – talks about the natural foolishness found in the heart of children.
- Character – talks about how you can instill character.
- False Gods – helps you recognize your children as a worshiper not to false gods but to the Living God.
- Control – deals with the proper way to control your children.
- Rest – helps you know your source of rest.
- Mercy – describes the importance of mercy in parenting.
Each of the principles mentioned here forms the chapters of the book. The main approach of Paul here is to give you a big picture of what parenting really is. When parenting becomes tough, the big picture gives you the motivation and idea of how you can continue in your role as a parent.
Aside from the big picture, the 14 principles can also serve as a foundation for parents on where they can base their teaching and management of their children.
Overall, the book talks about the importance of grace when it comes to parenting and its role in helping us with the things we can’t do by ourselves.
Who should read this book
The primary audience of this book is no doubt parents. Whether you are a happy or struggling parent, you can get some help from this book.
Moreover, if you are preparing for your role as a parent or you are planning to start your family, then this book should help you be more ready to take on a new challenging but fulfilling role.
Of course, even if you are not a parent, it still gives you fresh insights into how parenting can be done. You can then share this knowledge with others whom you know would benefit from it. In fact, you can even share this book with parents you may know.
Parents, pastors, teachers, grandparents, and anyone can benefit from this book.
Why you should read this book
Parenting has evolved over the years. Some children grow up with only one parent and some have no parents at all. Some parents have to leave their children for work while other parents choose to be present but not really being there for their children.
This book is a breath of fresh air for many who have lost the right idea of correct parenting.
You probably have already noticed that there are a lot of parenting books out there. Most books focus on the “How-to” and give you a list of what to do and what not to do.
However, Parenting used a different approach. Instead of giving you a to-do list, this book gives you biblical principles to guide you on how you can respond to every complicated situation that raising a child may present.
If you are a bible-believing person, a Christian who aims to do God’s will in your life, a parent who wants the best for their children, then I highly recommend this book.
Should you read Parenting by Paul David Tripp?
Yes, you should read this book. However, like in all other book reviews that I make, you have to ask for God’s wisdom and help. Ultimately, this book is written by a human being. You have to ensure that your ultimate source of authority is God.
With that said, I hope and pray that each of us becomes the parent that God wants us to be.